“If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door”
Milton Berle quoted and it is quite appropriate today. If your job is not giving you enough opportunity to learn and grow, choose a different career path. What could be better than Data Science presently?
According to a recent study by LinkedIn, the highest growth in jobs related to data science and data analysis include:
- Machine Learning Engineer: 8X job growth. Average salary according to Payscale: $100,956.
- Data Scientist: 5X job growth. Average salary according to Glassdoor: $120,931.
- Director of Data Science: 9X job growth, average salary according to PayScale: $158,911 per year.
Among the new job opportunities for data scientists and data analysts, IBM predicts:
- 61% of data scientists and advanced analysis positions will be available to bachelor’s degree holders, while 39% will require a master’s degree or a Ph.D.
- Data science and data analyst jobs remain open for 5 days longer than the average for all other jobs, which points to the fact that there is still less competition in these career fields, and recruiters have to work harder to find qualified candidates.
“It’s through curiosity and looking at opportunities in new ways that we’ve always mapped our path.”
Michael Dell has aptly said that. And to bring the opportunity closer to all of you, I have tried to list some of the free online Data Science courses, which will create a path to become a successful data scientist.
Free Data Science courses to learn Machine Learning, Data Science, Analytics, Python, and R have been listed. It has been classified with respect to middle-management, coders, and mathematicians. Top university professors are imparting one of the highest quality education in data science for free. Grab the opportunity.
- AI for Everyone: Andrew Ng, one of the greatest data scientist, has described Machine Learning, Data Science, and Artificial Intelligence beautifully. This could be a stepping stone to learn about different aspects of AI and how it is used. It will be a 4-week free course to understand. https://www.coursera.org/learn/ai-for-everyone
- Machine Learning by Stanford University: Another masterstroke by Andrew Ng, in which he described the basics of data science, along with fundamental and advanced machine learning. He covered from Linear Regression to Neural Network, from supervised learning to unsupervised learning. A must course for anyone who is interested in data science. https://www.coursera.org/learn/machine-learning
- Introduction to Data Science in Python by Michigan University: Python is one of the most commonly used programming languages in the data science field. If you want to dirty your hands with Python and you hardly know about it, this course will serve as a first step along the road. https://www.coursera.org/learn/python-data-analysis
- Data Science by Harvard University: Harvard offers videos (HD, SD, Mobile versions), class lecture slides, GitHub links which are downloadable also. It spans its lecture from Python basics to deep into statistics and machine learning. The project at the end of the course makes this course even more interesting and exciting. http://cs109.github.io/2015/pages/videos.html
- Data Science: Foundations using R Specialization: Like Python, R is also an open-source language and one of the most trusted languages among data scientists due to its simplicity and amazing packages(libraries). John Hopkins University has designed this course to impart training to use R to clean and visualize data along with managing data science projects using Github. https://www.coursera.org/specializations/data-science-foundations-r#courses
- Learn Data Science with R: This Udemy course by Ram Reddy is a primer on machine learning using R. The interesting part in this course is interaction with oracle database using R. https://www.udemy.com/course/datascience_with_r/
- Data Science for Business Innovation: This data science course has been designed especially for executive and middle-management to enhance their capability to innovate in the data-driven field. The course explains why Data Science is so hyped. Under this course, topics cover the essential concepts and intuitions on data needs, data analysis, machine learning methods, respective pros and cons, and practical applicability issues. https://www.coursera.org/learn/data-science-for-business-innovation
- Data Science Math Skills: This course has put its focus on Maths. How Maths is driving data science. It introduces the core math that data science is built upon, with no extra complexity, introducing unfamiliar ideas and math symbols one-at-a-time. https://www.coursera.org/learn/datasciencemathskills
This series of free online data science courses have been compiled to ease the way to learn data science for beginners without spending a penny but learning from top data scientists or academy. It mainly covers fundamental courses in the field of data science and its application using Python and R.
If you like this series, please clap for encouraging me to write more such articles, and please do share this article if you find it is helpful for your friends or colleagues.